[mswindowsxp] Re: Networking Problems Wxp/W98

  • From: "Paul Lindberg" <phlindberg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <mswindowsxp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 21:02:07 -0800

I remember a "very long" discussion thread in the past regarding
Networking WinXP and Win98 computers together...  It is not necessarily
simple, but can sometimes work relatively easily.

A couple of things I remember are:

+Make sure they have the EXACT same Workgroup Name
+Make sure your Win98 machine is on the latest Win98 Release

You could also try a program like PCAnywhere (Symantec - they have a 30
Day Trial available) which usually is pretty easy to setup and transfer
files quickly (but why should you spend money on something that sould
easily work within Windows machines...).  I only mention this because I
tried PCAnywhere at one time in the past and found it "very easy" to
setup and connect to another Windows Computer.

There is a "Network Troubleshooter" in WinXP HELP that can help with
setup and troubleshooting of some basic problems.

Here are a couple of good web sites that may be helpful:

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/troubleshoot/
http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/win9xtroubleshoot/index.htm
http://www.smallbusinesscomputing.com/webmaster/article.php/1367281
http://www.networkcomputing.com/netdesign/troubleintro.html

If possible, you might want to upgrade your Win98 machine to WinXP (if
the Hardware is capable of supporting WinXP).

Good Luck...
---Paul