[modeleng] Re: Disability Discrimination Act

  • From: "Peter J. Cathcart" <peter.cathcart@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 22:55:21 +0100

Alan

You are right generally that the Act has not been explained as well as it
should have been.  However, the general view seems to be that compliance on
day one is simply a pipe dream for most businesses and that the objective is
to change the culture over a period of years.  It will really take a
disabled person to complain to make an issue for anyone.  Large corporations
will be targeted first as they can bear litigation costs and gradually it
will become clear what is and what is not reasonable.

Besides cost we have a major defence, and that is safety.  Safety of the
public, and our members, comes before anything.  If you intend to allow a
seriously disabled persons to use your railway you must first make a safety
case for it.  Their safety has to be assured.

Thankfully we are a generally civilised nation and common sense will
prevail.  Trust me, I'm a lawyer.

Peter