[modeleng] Re: Disability Discrimination Act

  • From: "Ron Head" <ron.head@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 22:31:24 +0100

Hi Peter

I'm not saying it's impossible, but I would have serious misgivings about
the stability of a 7.1/4" gauge vehicle carrying a wheelchair plus occupant.
I just think the centre of gravity would be too high.  At my club we've had
occasional problems with passenger trucks overturning when the (often adult)
passengers insist on leaning out for a better view, or to talk to one
another!  And this is with quite heavy bogie trucks that can carry 6 adults
or 8 kids.  Fortunately we've never had any major injuries as a result, but
a wheelchair-bound passenger would be ill-disposed to save himself from
injury in an overturning incident.  As for the 5" raised track, wheelchairs
are clearly out of the question altogether.

I think the view of my club will be that "we looked at it and found it
wasn't practicable to carry wheelchairs".  I do agree however, that
wheelchair users should be free to use the club facilities, and generally
enjoy the atmosphere of just being there.

Perhaps you would keep us posted on how your project develops?

Regards
Ron Head