Re: Funding LuaJIT 2.1 and beyond

  • From: Mike Pall <mike-1207@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: luajit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2012 23:22:11 +0200

Pierre Chapuis wrote:
> GitTip appears to be making people talk a lot recently:
> http://blog.gittip.com/post/26505682007/is-personal-funding-viable
>
> Did you / would you consider something like this as part
> of your crowdfunding strategy?

First, this is basically just a technical platform. Which is a
laudable effort. But they haven't tackled any of the hard
problems, yet: legal and tax issues, international issues (esp.
VAT), "donations" vs. company income, etc.

Second, IMHO this is catering to the wrong audience. If they're on
Github, they probably write open source, too. I'd rather receive
bug reports, bug fixes, libraries, demo programs or technical
documentation from them.

We're in the same boat. I don't want their money -- I want their
expertise! IMHO this is much more valuable and much harder to get.