Re: Funding LuaJIT 2.1 and beyond

  • From: Mike Pall <mike-1206@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: luajit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2012 13:55:34 +0200

Johnson Lin wrote:
> I personally think the biggest challenge for crowdfunding you see
> these days, are providing corresponding and appropriate "incentives",
> e.g. rewards for different level of contributions.

Heck, I'd have tons of crazy ideas for that. It doesn't *have* to be
a t-shirt. Want to go with me on a die-hard roller coaster tour for
a day, filmed by a TV crew, plus a professionally produced DVD and
some unforgettable memories? I've got the contacts, no problem. ;-)

Make events, don't give away junk souvenirs!

[Not my own idea, dunno where I read that.]

> Of course there are other types of crowdfunding platforms exist. But
> other than Kickstarter, Indiegogo, and a few others major players in
> the field, the rest of them just don't attract enough people.

Also, Kickstarter doesn't work for non-US citizens as
beneficiaries (yet?).

> Personally I think a good start (for usual people like us to engage)
> is still means to make ordinary donation like a PayPal donate button
> on the website. If Mike is ok with that, I can contribute a few
> hundreds of dollars as well. (and a few people already mentioned they
> can do the same in previous posts, too)

Then we get back to the original problem: collecting funds from
individuals is very problematic (at least here in Germany).