Re: Funding LuaJIT 2.1 and beyond

  • From: Johnson Lin <arch.jslin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: luajit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2012 20:31:43 +0800

2012/6/8 Mike Pall <mike-1206@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> Johnson Lin wrote:
>> I personally think the biggest challenge for crowdfunding you see
>> these days, are providing corresponding and appropriate "incentives",
>> e.g. rewards for different level of contributions.
>
> Heck, I'd have tons of crazy ideas for that. It doesn't *have* to be
> a t-shirt. Want to go with me on a die-hard roller coaster tour for
> a day, filmed by a TV crew, plus a professionally produced DVD and
> some unforgettable memories? I've got the contacts, no problem. ;-)
>
> Make events, don't give away junk souvenirs!
>
> [Not my own idea, dunno where I read that.]

Now that you mentioned it ...there's a cool book-making project in the
game industry that if you sponsored enough (say a few hundreds or so),
the author will get you in touch with some famous game makers like Sid
Meier, John Romero, Will Wright etc, and have a dinner with one of
them. Maybe having a dinner with Mike Pall is kinda cool, too!

>> Of course there are other types of crowdfunding platforms exist. But
>> other than Kickstarter, Indiegogo, and a few others major players in
>> the field, the rest of them just don't attract enough people.
>
> Also, Kickstarter doesn't work for non-US citizens as
> beneficiaries (yet?).

Kickstarter's keeping saying that they are working on that. I think
that limitation originates from their payment method (Amazon Payment),
if I remember correctly. I don't know why they don't support other
payment methods.

Indiegogo is pretty famous and seasoned platform as well, it differs
from Kickstarter mainly in 2 parts:

1) Can choose Keep-It-All policy, which means even if you don't reach
your fund raising goal, you still keep all the money. At Kickstarter
(All-Or-Nothing policy) if you fail to match the goal, no cash-flow
will occur between any of your sponsors and you.

2) Indiegogo works for international beneficiaries.

However that doesn't make Indiegogo super cool. Keep-It-All policy
sometimes lower the desire for sponsors in a way that they don't know
if you can't make it to your fund raising goal, will you still 100%
commit to the project. Hence they are not that willing to fund you in
the first place. This also imply Indiegogo has a lower rate of overall
"Success Story", and this contribute to the willingness of potential
sponsors, too.

Some of Indiegogo's Technology related projects:
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects?filter_category=Technology

>> Personally I think a good start (for usual people like us to engage)
>> is still means to make ordinary donation like a PayPal donate button
>> on the website. If Mike is ok with that, I can contribute a few
>> hundreds of dollars as well. (and a few people already mentioned they
>> can do the same in previous posts, too)
>
> Then we get back to the original problem: collecting funds from
> individuals is very problematic (at least here in Germany).
>
> --Mike

I am in touch with a educational research foundation in my country,
I'll see what I can do with that. But it'll be very likely that they
can only support a minor portion of the fund needed.

best regards,
Johnson Lin