[lit-ideas] Re: on the home front

  • From: Andy <mimi.erva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 03:44:20 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Tue, 8/12/08, Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 >>If we're all different in the same way, then we'd all be the
same, right?

Eric:  Not if the same way was to be different.

Andy:  That would be the Tower of Babel after God got done with it.  "Go to,
let us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand
one another's speech."  (Genesis 11:7).

>>Variant 1: We're all the same in different ways.  Variant 2:
We're all different in the same way.

Eric Then who is "we"?

Andy:   Indeed.  We be brethren...not.  Even our explanatory stories are
confusing.  "Let us go to" (cited above),  "Let us make man in our image, after
our likeness..."  (Genesis 1:26), but "God created man in his own [singular]
image (Gen. 1:27).   Lifetimes are spent debating these issues, so don't expect
an answer from me.

Way back when I saw the movie Tender Mercies I didn't get it.  My literary days
were over and I saw absolutely nothing in the move.  Now I see that 'tender
mercies' is from Psalms.  On the one hand, that gives it biblical weight.  On
the other hand the biblical weight, the tender mercies, is purely conditional
love.  Seems like that further narrows the movie rather than expands it.  So,
in answer to your timeless question, who is we?  Don't know, kimosabe...