[lit-ideas] Re: on the home front

  • From: Andy <mimi.erva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 07:52:30 -0700 (PDT)

Most nonhuman life is much less affected by the tragedy of the commons if it
doesn't have humans to deal with.  It balances itself out, and most nonhuman
life protects its environment for thousands of generations into the future to
ensure its survival.  Humans, with their useless, nonthinking but ever
scheming big brains, are much more like yeast in a barrel of grape juice or
bacteria in a petri dish, or even an AIDS virus that kills its host.  Humans
destroy their environment as fast as they possibly can and they use resources
as fast as they possibly can.  That's thought to be programmed in genetically
for short term survival.   When resources, i.e., food, was scarce when we were
little hominids, it was evolutionarily in our best interests to eat whatever we
found as fast as possible and as much as possible.  That's the reason given for
the 20 minute lag between feeling full and feeling not hungry, so we could keep
gobbling.

So now when we see oil or water or top soil or granite countertops, we're
programmed to gobble them up as fast as possible.  Unfortunately, when you have
6.7 billion people gobbling a mile a minute, counterproductive is an
understatement.  Well, maybe half that many gobble a mile a minute; the other
half live in abject poverty.  Human ability to breed exponentially is another
sore spot.  It results in exponential depletion of resources  while returning
nothing to the environment except exponential pollution.

I'm not kidding about the big brain being useful for designing weapons.  It
made us good hunters, gave us dominion, until now, among other things, we've
fished away 90% of all the big fish in the oceans, and on and on.   Those are
just statements of fact.

From: Andy
To: "lit-ideas"
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 02:27:18 -0700 (PDT)

Be fruitful and multiply says the bible, so sex was on everybody's mind for a
long time.  Likewise the selfish gene's primary purpose is reproducing itself.
But procreation isn't the point of sex nowadays, at least not in the
markets expensive cars are aimed at.  Is sex more public?  I'm not sure that
even that's the issue.  In 'primitive' societies (and we're pretty primitive,
we just like to think we're not, hence the quotes) sex is out in the open.

Sex is a part of life, no doubt, but animals don't obsess about it.  They don't
even care about it.  They reproduce, they raise their young, they're done.

So what's going on?  Does obsessing about sex as opposed to just passing along
one's genes distinguish us from the rest of the animal kingdom?  If so, what's
the point of the cerebral cortex?  To design better weapons and ad campaigns
for cars, which of course they use sex to sell?  Personally, I think humans are
basically so tranced out after millennia of wars and bad child rearing and who
knows what all, that they're in pain, and the pleasure chemicals in the brain
are basically an endogenous mood altering drug.  And it takes ever more
stimulation to get the same high and so it keeps spiraling upward.  In the
meantime, the cognitive part of the brain is less and less used.

It's too bad that if humanity has to obsess about something it doesn't obsess
about improving collective life in some way instead of just distracting itself
in what is ultimately a downward spiral.  Money BTW is in the same category as
sex.  It's just another obsession.

--- On Sun, 8/10/08, David Wright <wright@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Is the obsession escalating, or is it simply becoming more public?

--
Be Yourself @ mail.com!
Choose From 200+ Email Addresses