[lit-ideas] Re: on the home front

  • From: "David Wright" <wright@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 08:46:44 -0500

Irene:Evolutionarily speaking I would think if being able to afford a big
car ensured the best genes [...] So the evolutionary explanation doesn't
satisfy.

If so, what's the point of the cerebral cortex?  To design better
weapons...

The effects of an uber-large cerebral cortex may not satisfy our ethical
image of what it should, even could, produce psycho-socially.
The survival of a trait is concerned exclusively with the survival of the
genome.  The tragedy, like that of the commons, is that all indications
point to it being the font of our ultimate destruction.  Perhaps if we
were 'designed' to be more introspective, compelled to seek harmonious
communities... lamenting the opposable thumb for the bonobos had it right
all along,d.

Get a Free Account at www.mail.com