[lit-ideas] Re: on the home front

  • From: Andy <mimi.erva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 06:11:49 -0700 (PDT)

Basically, that's exactly what I mean by we're all the same except for fill in
the blanks variables.  We all have mothers, we all have fathers, most have
siblings or extended families.  How those factors come together determines who
we are.  My contention is parenting is for a few months biological and
following birth it's overwhelmingly environmental.   The irony is that because
we're all children first, that which we learn as children becomes normal,
however rotten that learning is.  Result:  humans are the mess they are.  The
mess is preventable, or vastly reduceable, except that, well, it seems so
normal to be a mess.  It seems normal to have war, to settle
disputes with violence (otherwise known as spanking or occupation or whatever)
and on and on.  We humans just don't know there's another way to do things.
Genes are important but personally I think they carry infinitely less weight
than environment.