[lit-ideas] Re: amazing employment application questions

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 19:14:42 -0700

On Jun 5, 2006, at 6:52 PM, JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx wrote:

So, let's say I'm paralyzed from the waist down in a wheelchair, but my clerical skills are outstanding (if I do say so myself).  So they're asking me if I am able to perform the clerical duties if the building does not have wheelchair access?

It's a very odd question:

"Will you be able to perform the essential job functions for the position you are applying for with or without reasonable accommodations?"

What are the possible answers?

Yes, of course, I will be able to perform the essential job functions without reasonable accommodations. I will also be able to perform them without pay if that's at all necessary.
Yes I will be able to perform the essential job functions but I need reasonable accommodations. Say seventy five dollars a night in the Best Western 'n' Jacuzzi?
No I won't be able to perform the essential job functions, but like most of your workers (and deans) I'll be very good at the inessential ones.
No I what I really need are unreasonable accommodations. Can you supply examples of what you have on offer?

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon