[lit-ideas] Re: amazing employment application questions

  • From: Carol Kirschenbaum <carolkir@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2006 19:09:47 -0700

 >So they're asking me if I am able to perform the clerical duties if the
 >building does not have wheelchair access?

ck: Not exactly. They're *asking* whether you are able to perform the clerical
duties, period.  The app is about you, not the building or the employer's
willingness to provide accommodations. FYI, if the building is federal or state
(receiving fed funds), it must have wheelchair access or it's in violation of
ADA. Now, THOSE suits have been won, reliably, by potential employees. Physical
accessibility is one of the easiest kinds. Employers love to hire people in
wheelchairs, and to put them prominently, right up front, where every visitor
can see. (Same thing happened right after the Civil Rights Act passed. The ADA
is modeled directly after the Civil Rights Act, which inspired it.)

About positioning people in wheelchairs so they're extremely visible, I regret
to remember a pamphlet I edited in 1991, written by lawyers for the banking
profession, which advised prominent placement of employees who use wheelchairs.

Stop screaming, Julie.
Carol

        Date: 6/5/06 8:49:14 P.M. Central Daylight Time
        From: rpaul@xxxxxxxx
        To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        Sent on:

  JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx wrote:

  > I of course answered "yes".  But the "w/ or w/out reasonable
  > accommodations" has so many variables, is so nebulous, as to be
  > astonishing.  What are "reasonable accomodations"?  Bathroom breaks?
  > Typewriters that work?  Chairs?

  'Reasonable accomodations' is a term of art in the Americans With
  Disabilities Act of 1990. It means about what you'd think it means, and
  is explicable pretty much in terms of what you'd need given your
  disablity, whatever it is, over and above the standard equipment and
  access that non-disabled persons have. (Don't ask me to define 'standard.')

  See, e.g. http://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/index.php/Disability_law

  Robert Paul
  Reed College