[lit-ideas] Re: amazing employment application questions

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 22:17:17 EDT

I'm not screaming, Carol.  I was just a little non-plussed.  I  had no clue
what the "reasonable accommodations" meant in that context -- and of  course I
answered yes, to the question.

Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: amazing
employment application questions  Date: 6/5/06 9:11:08 P.M. Central Daylight
Time
From: _carolkir@xxxxxxxxx (mailto:carolkir@xxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   Sent on:
>So they're asking me if I am able to  perform the clerical duties if the
building does not have wheelchair  access?

ck: Not exactly. They're *asking* whether you are able to perform the
clerical duties, period.  The app is about you, not the building or the
employer's
willingness to provide accommodations. FYI, if the building is  federal or
state (receiving fed funds), it must have wheelchair access or it's  in
violation
of ADA. Now, THOSE suits have been won, reliably, by potential  employees.
Physical accessibility is one of the easiest kinds. Employers love to  hire
people in wheelchairs, and to put them prominently, right up front,  where
every
visitor can see. (Same thing happened right after the Civil Rights  Act passed.
The ADA is modeled directly after the Civil Rights Act, which  inspired it.)

About positioning people in wheelchairs so they're extremely visible, I
regret to remember a pamphlet I edited in 1991, written by lawyers  for the
banking profession, which advised prominent placement  of employees who use
wheelchairs.

Stop screaming, Julie.
Carol

From: _rpaul@xxxxxxxxx (mailto:rpaul@xxxxxxxx)   To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx wrote:

> I of  course answered "yes".  But the "w/ or w/out reasonable
>  accommodations" has so many variables, is so nebulous, as to be
>  astonishing.  What are "reasonable accomodations"?  Bathroom  breaks?
> Typewriters that work?  Chairs?

'Reasonable  accomodations' is a term of art in the Americans With
Disabilities Act of  1990. It means about what you'd think it means, and
is explicable pretty  much in terms of what you'd need given your
disablity, whatever it is,  over and above the standard equipment and
access that non-disabled persons  have. (Don't ask me to define 'standard.')

See, e.g.  http://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/index.php/Disability_law

Robert  Paul
Reed  College
digest  on/off), visit  www.andreas.com/faq-lit-ideas.html