[lit-ideas] Re: amazing employment application questions

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 23:13:48 EDT

<<No. They're asking if you can do it if you  have reasonable
accomodations, _if you need them_, (a ramp, or  whatever).>>

Au contraire, it seemed to me (though some of the posts since my  initial
post have clarified this somewhat) that they were asking if I could do  the job
if I did *not* have reasonable accommodations.  Again -- that  phrase -- "with
our without reasonable accommodations".  (And just the term  "accommodation"
is so broad .....what the blazes counts as an  accommodation?)

<<
'You ask a philosopher a question and after he or she has
talked for  awhile you no longer understand your own question.' [Philippa
Foot]>>

I have that quote taped to the edge of my computer monitor.

Julie Krueger
========Original  Message========
Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: amazing employment application questions  Date: 6/5/06
9:45:22 P.M. Central Daylight Time  From: _rpaul@xxxxxxxxx
(mailto:rpaul@xxxxxxxx)   To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   Sent
on:
JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx wrote:

>   > So, let's say I'm paralyzed from the waist down in a wheelchair,  but
>  > my clerical skills are outstanding (if I do say so  myself).  So
>  > they're asking me if I am able to perform  the clerical duties if the
>  > building does not have wheelchair  access?

No. They're asking if you can do it if you have reasonable
accomodations, _if you need them_, (a ramp, or whatever). That is, can
you type at all, independently of whether you need any special
accomodations?

David wrote:

> It's a very odd  question:

> "Will you be able to perform the essential job functions  for the
> position you are applying for with or without reasonable
>  accommodations?"

It isn't the most deftly worded question, but it's  pretty clear to me.
The reading light example is about as transparent as I  can make it. I
suspect that David and Julie are just ambulance chasing. As  it were. So
to speak. 'You ask a philosopher a question and after he or she  has
talked for awhile you no longer understand your own question.' [Philippa
Foot]

Robert  Paul
reed.edu