[lit-ideas] Re: amazing employment application questions

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 21:52:35 EDT

So, let's say I'm paralyzed from the waist down in a wheelchair, but my
clerical skills are outstanding (if I do say so myself).  So they're asking  me
if
I am able to perform the clerical duties if the building does not have
wheelchair access?

Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: amazing
employment application questions  Date: 6/5/06 8:49:14 P.M. Central Daylight
Time
From: _rpaul@xxxxxxxxx (mailto:rpaul@xxxxxxxx)   To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx wrote:

> I of  course answered "yes".  But the "w/ or w/out reasonable
>  accommodations" has so many variables, is so nebulous, as to be
>  astonishing.  What are "reasonable accomodations"?  Bathroom  breaks?
> Typewriters that work?  Chairs?

'Reasonable  accomodations' is a term of art in the Americans With
Disabilities Act of  1990. It means about what you'd think it means, and
is explicable pretty  much in terms of what you'd need given your
disablity, whatever it is, over  and above the standard equipment and
access that non-disabled persons have.  (Don't ask me to define 'standard.')

See, e.g.  http://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/index.php/Disability_law

Robert  Paul
Reed  College