[lit-ideas] Re: Soya Sauce

  • From: Andy <min.erva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 19:14:11 -0700 (PDT)

I think Americans are protein crazy.  We damage our kidneys eating at least
twice as much animal protein as necessary and worry that we don't get enough of
it.  There's some evidence that older people might benefit from increased
protein, but that's most likely because they're deficient in overall calories,
not protein.  The rule is, if you're getting enough calories, you're getting
enough protein, assuming, of course, that the calories are coming from
reasonably good food, not just junk food.  Americans are generally not
deficient in calories.  The people who need more protein per kilogram of body
weight are children; also pregnant women.  Everybody else is probably way
overdoing it already with their 16-ounce porterhouses.

  Even with strict vegans protein is not a problem.  They have to be careful of
Vitamin B12, because that only exists in animal products.  That's the tip off
that humans are not designed to be vegetarians; we're omnivores (but the meat
that we evolved on is nothing like the meat we buy in the supermarket).  Nuts
are terrific, and they're delicious, at least in my opinion.  Unsalted peanuts
are really legumes.  They are sooo nourishing.  Tree nuts are wonderful too.
They're all excellent sources of Vitamin E.

  Congratulations on reversing your heart disease.  I think health is one of
those things that no one cares about until it's gone.  Yes, we're all going to
die, but we might as well die healthy with all our parts, or, depending on how
one looks at it, die happy eating what one wants.  We'll get there either way.
Personally, I like taking care of myself and that makes me happy.  In return,
my cholesterol is 138, blood pressure 102/64.  Sorry this is so long, but  I
love nutrition and the science of food.  I can talk about it for hours.  Hate
to cook, though.

Carol Kirschenbaum <carolkir@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
          >[re: soy] When used to replace meat, it's very good, but virtually
any non-animal food that replaces meat would be.
    ck: Oh? As I longtime vegetarian and former vegan, I challenge anyone to
name some non-soy, non-dairy alternatives to meat (incl fish) protein. There's
the rice/bean combo, then there's....?  Nuts. There are nuts. Plenty of nuts.
Peanut butter--I glutted on the stuff one day and killed my gall bladder. Now
I'm even more of a soy fan. There's no chance of anyone glutting on soy
products. Even Tofutti.

  So ask me about reversing heart disease, someone. Seems I did that, over the
past two years. My cardiologist was fairly astounded. Much of it, he thought,
had to do with lowering my blood pressure to barely above the level needed to
sustain life. But really folks, a stenotic ("sticky") heart valve no longer
sticking; a "leaky" mitral valve that's not leaking anymore; an enlarged heart
chamber that's now regular size; and thickened heart walls that have thinned.

  So she walked out of the office with a clean bill of cardiac health and
dropped dead from--

  Still here,
  carol

http://mail.yahoo.com