[lit-ideas] Re: Victor Hanson in Iraq

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 14:07:04 -0800

I read the reviews and bought the book some time ago, and started it, but
then got off onto something else and haven't finished it yet.  Turkey has in
the past been considered a bastion of moderation and therefore a legitimate
candidate for admission into the EU, but Islamic Fundamentalism has made
enormous inroads in that nation.  It is depressing to realize that the
nation of Ataturk is not much more resistant to Islamic Fundamentalism than
any other Islamic nation.   In Turkey as in Pakistan, the military is
holding the Islamists at bay.

Lawrence