[lit-ideas] Re: Victor Hanson in Iraq

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 00:31:55 -0500

We haven't had another attack by al Qaeda because they haven't planned one.
Literally.  Source: Ron Suskind.  Not having been attacked to this point
has had NOTHING to do with the War on Iraq.  Al Qaeda turned its attention
to destabilizing Saudi Arabia and other places.  The war in Iraq was very
useful to them for that.   Al Qaeda is now home grown organizations,
loosely connected to bin Laden's organization.  We caused the mess in Iraq.
We sent a bull to liberate a china shop (not my analogy).   In Afghanistan
we never had enough troops to begin with and then we dropped them like a
hot potato and jumped into Iraq without enough troops.  The region is very
different from its pre-Bush past.  We air struck ourselves stupid with
millions of pounds of bombs and it got us to this point.  We have the most
sophisticated military in the world, and we're disabled with cell phones
and garage door openers.  The power that al Qaeda has derived from this war
in Iraq has strengthened them to where a caliphate stretching from Spain
all the way through the stans is quite do-able.  We proved ourselves not
much of an adversary, boosted their spirits.  Invading Iraq was intended to
show our might and thereby scare everyone straight (paraphrasing Suskind).
All it did was result in regime change here in the U.S. (one of the comedy
shows).  Like the Baker report says (and Tom Ricks and lots of other
people), we have very few options, all of them bad.  But the assertion that
we're safe because we haven't had an attack is downright wrong.