[lit-ideas] Re: Victor Hanson in Iraq

  • From: "Simon Ward" <sedward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 23:01:54 -0000

Lawrence returns from literature land (a noble and worthwhile place) and the
desire to oppose him is already irresistable.

So be it, because Lawrence, for all his patriotism, seems willing to advocate
civil war against the Leftists, whoever they may be. And who they are in the
end becomes the valid point because they are expressed not in their own terms
but in Lawrence's terms. They are whoever Lawrence wants them to be and are
defined strictly by their viewpoint or attitude towards Lawrence's notion of
what is happening in the world. They may as well be anyone who disagrees with
Lawrence's standpoint and you can be sure that Lawrence knows more about their
views than they do themselves.

Who then is the enemy? Al Quaeda or The Leftists?

Perhaps they are allied; the fundamental religious believers and the athiests,
those who demand war and those who shout against it. Stands to reason doesn't
it, stands to reason that such a dichotomy is really a shadowy collusion of
interests and the Leftists are the ones who are financing the extremists, the
Leftists want to see a Caliphate, want to see Sharia Laws that would mitigate
against women's rights.

Of course these people are acting together. They share so much.

Lawrence, please, who are you trying to kid. You're spouting Orwellian
constructs that fall apart too easily. You have no clothes. None at all.

"I say that if they spend enough time siding with the enemy, the time may come
when those of us who are more traditional can no longer tell the difference
between them and our enemy."

Lawrence, I seriously think you're delusional.

Simon