[lit-ideas] Re: Victor Hanson in Iraq

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 10:07:57 -0800

Eric,

Some like Howard Zinn think they are taking the moral high ground and not
merely advocating the defeat of America.  In his dialogue with Dennis Prager
we find:

DP: Well the casualties in Germany were ten times those of the casualties in
Britain. So is Britain and Hitler morally equivalent?

HZ: Well let's not go back to World War II.

DP: No, no but you are making the assessment on the basis... you are making
the assessment of morality on the basis of numbers killed.

HZ: No. I think, no, I think regardless of the numbers, when you kill
innocent people there is immorality. So there is immorality on both sides .
. .

And Irene says the same sort of thing imagining I suppose that she is taking
the moral high ground as well:

". . . the world would in fact be better off today with Saddam in power.
Certainly the poor Iraqis would be better off."

How long will it take Leftists to realize, or if realization is impossible
for Conservatives to adequately expose that position as unprincipled and
immoral.  Where are the patriots who once cried "give me liberty or give me
death"?  Are there no more like them?  The Leftist of a few years ago said,
"better red than dead," did that begin the modern trek toward the
abandonment of principle?  Today, they can say with Howard, better under
Hitler than dead, or with Irene, better Saddam than dead.  Is their
anything, Eric, these unprincipled Leftists would die for?

Lawrence