[lit-ideas] Re: Victor Hanson in Iraq

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 21:58:04 -0800

From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

A list member sent me a link to this brief essay by Victor
Hanson. It dispassionately presents the two major views on
Iraq without name-calling or prejudgment. Some may even find
it thought-provoking. -Eric

Eric,

1) Victor David Hanson is a neocon who has celebrated the attack on Iraq and attacked all critics of the war. He is hardly neutral.

2) Hanson thinks we are in a global racial war. "Conflict of Civilizations" and
all that.

3) Hanson's understanding of the situation is incorrect. Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld did not invade Iraq over WMDs, oil, al Qaeda, national threats, violation of UN agreements, or any of the 27 or so other reasons they and the Neocons have told us. Remarkably, most of the Neocons (and literally everyone who has supported the war) (and Lawrence and Eric) don't really know why Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld started the war. Read Danner's article and find out what Bush was hoping to accomplish. http://www.nybooks.com/articles/19720

4) Hanson does not admit he was wrong. Instead, he wants to press further. "Stay the course." See the conclusion of his article at http://victorhanson.com/articles/hanson112706.html

Hanson concludes:

But if, on the other hand -- well, you know the answer, and my own views on the
matter.

Yes, we know Hanson's views. Race war.

Hanson, who supports so strongly this "war", won't leave his safe little ivory tower to go fight in it. Which means, of course, he doesn't really believe what he is saying.

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com