[lit-ideas] Re: The Swan and my gendered writing...

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 10:02:48 -0700

On Apr 16, 2009, at 8:56 AM, Judith Evans wrote:

(*it's my impression many people who know more about the programme -- Digital Spy helps out here... -- were genuinely moved.)

The Guardian piece is right to point out that we see a wider range of people in real life than we do on television, but its author skips over the fact that we develop personal ideals of beauty independent of those offered by media--one person's skinny ideal might be my idea of horror; we live and work among the wide range of normal people, or at least I do. The singer actually reminded me of one of my aunts, a lady who was once considered beautiful enough to have her image painted on the nose of a Flying Fortress. Thus I saw the build-up as a theatre con--move awkwardly, dress awkwardly, stress your age so that the audience will be gobsmacked by the beauty of your voice. But as with any such con--we all know how Shakespeare is going to turn out--execution is all; the fact that we know we are being set up doesn't rob us of catharsis. That said, I was surprised to be in the group moved to tears. With one or two exceptions--and the Miserables isn't among these-- I hate musical theater. So when she said she was going to give us the Miserables, I almost stopped the clip. And then I tumbled into the group defined by Chris' first excerpt. Weird.

David Ritchie,
preparing a cardboard sign, "will work for catharsis" in
Portland, Oregon