[lit-ideas] Re: The Swan and my gendered writing...

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 16:31:37 -0700

WKO wrote
Lest I forgets, surely the truly aesthetic is universal: it remains innocent of
particularities pertaining to race, class, gender, religious affiliation,
sexual orientation (if any), and political power. Surely "the sublime" commands
no less?

Would that be the Burkean sublime or the Kantian sublime? And if it's the latter, is it mathematical (wonder at Cantor's paradise) or dynamic (helplessness at the prospect of Godzilla raised to the 10th power)?

Perhaps the answer is to be found in peaceable Sublimity, Oregon.

http://www.henrystrobel.com/saintboniface/sublimit.htm

Remember, no virtue, no eudaimonia. (Or was that another thread?)

Robert Paul