[lit-ideas] Re: The Swan and my gendered writing...

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 16:30:23 -0400

Robert: Perhaps the answer is to be found in peaceable Sublimity, Oregon.

Or in Santayana's notion of pleasure as prime to aesthetics and inherent in its recognition in the object. In Santayana's notion it's a transaction between person and object ... and one size fits all ... cultures, genders, etc.

Of course, if Walter's objector is going to object to every aesthetic proposition, one must simply change the subject or talk to someone else.

Eric

PS: In lit-theory, aka literature for people who only read theory, the notion of universals has long been considered "white men's fantasies" .. or at least that's how I think Derrida put it.