[lit-ideas] Re: The Swan and my gendered writing...

  • From: Paul Stone <pastone@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 09:04:39 -0400

On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 10:15 PM, Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Ursula sent us a poem, 'The Swan,' by Mary Oliver. I don't really like it;
> there are too many similes and they get in each other's way. I'm not sure
> what a 'perfect commotion' would be. Aren't commotions essentially lawless?
> Or is this an instance of a trope I may may have once known the name of?
>Banks of flowers don't bite things...(and on he ranted).

Along the same lines, I read a book last week called "stunt" by
Claudia Dey. It's gotta be the strangest book I've ever read. I hated
it, but couldn't put it down. It was so purposefully written and yet,
so abominable that it became comical. It was as if someone taught a
computer how to construct a sentence that is a simile and then just
fed it 10,000 classified words (nouns, verbs adjectives etc) and said
"have at it." It was worse than a first year creative writing course
exercise on deliberately trying to created reaching metaphors.

Has anyone else had the incredibly frustrating but enjoyable
experience of this 'book'? I'm sure it will win awards of some kind
since it's so completely undiscussable.