[lit-ideas] Re: The Swan and my gendered writing...

  • From: "Walter C. Okshevsky" <wokshevs@xxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 16:33:12 -0230

Quoting David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> p.s. Today's thread began with a question from Julie about what
> poetry is.  Tonight's answer?  Got to Footytube.com and watch the
> goal in the Man Utd game.  Fabulous, but not poetry.  Then watch
> Arsenal's first two goals.  Now that's poetry.  It's clever, it's got
> rhythm, it's joined up, it focuses the mind, it may lack meaning but
> it's still fun.
>
> David Ritchie,
> revealed as an Arsenal fan and thus showing some slight bias in
> Portland, Oregon

You want genderless poetry? Watch Kovalev tonight in game one of the
Bruins-Canadiens playoff series. Prediction: Montreal in six (maybe seven).

OK, so I've been born and bred in Outremont.

Lest I forgets, surely the truly aesthetic is universal: it remains innocent of
particularities pertaining to race, class, gender, religious affiliation,
sexual orientation (if any), and political power. Surely "the sublime" commands
no less?

Now imagine someone were to claim that the above proposition is false. What
cogent grounds would be appealed to in its defense? And if none were
forthcoming, is that not to say that such a proposition is not a proposition at
all but rather a ... what shall we say? .... a
pronouncement? An "ejaculation" as Herr Doktor Professor Ayer was wont to say.
As in "Boo!" or "Hooray!" As there is no truth value involved, nothing
significant is being uttered. So what is the point of such utterances?

Walter O.
Chair,
Department of Metaphysics and Digital Graphics
North Bay College of Art and Design
Toronto, ON
Canada