[lit-ideas] Re: The Medium is the Message

  • From: "Walter C. Okshevsky" <wokshevs@xxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2011 14:11:07 -0230

Kant need not be shunted aside here. He had consistently taught that while
freedom is a transcendental presupposition of rational agency, we cannot prove
that we are free in empirical terms (or metaphysical ones either). The being
who cannot but act on the idea of freedom is for that very reason free for all
practical purposes. Morality for Kant is a practical matter, not a theoretical
one so the fact that our freedom remains metaphysically and empirically
unproved does not mean I will refrain from deciding whether to play table
tennis this afternoon, and simply try to predict what I will do as a result of
the play of external causes and forces determining my decision. Just as the
categorical imperative would not exist without such fallible beings as
Republicans, so would freedom be but a chimera independent of the
self-understanding we have of ourselves as deliberating and judging beings.

On the more general matter of "certainty," I believe Witters got it right. It
ain't an epistemic concept but a practical one. The "riverbed" or "hinge"
propositions making up our certainty are not accepted as "true" on the basis of
any evidence or reasoning. Our system of justification would fall apart if we
doubted in normal circyumstances such things as "This is my hand." Thus W
proclaimed, correctly I believe,  that Moore knew nothing when he waved his
hand around in proof of his knowledge of the existence of an external world.

Having finally completed his paper on Kant, 3 days before the deadline date for
submission and is now celebrating accordingly ...

Walter O
MUN

http://www.mun.ca/cc/policies/electronic_communications_disclaimer_2011.php