[lit-ideas] Re: The Medium is the Message

  • From: Mike Geary <jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 13:04:17 -0500

"A 'much more philosophical one?? '"

Compared to Facebook, decidedly yes.  And, yes, compared even to the old
Phil-Lit, which was often turned into a political forum.  Politics gets
people's heart racing far more so than philosophy.   Today's lack-luster
Lit-Id seems to me much more philosophical.   Of course, I might have lower
philosophical standands than you.

"'Plato played by Walter O"?? Are we on the same planet?"

I'm not a philosopher as you, no doubt, have guessed.  But I associate
"transcendental" as the position that there is such a thing as "truth"
and that it is independent of our experiences or ideas, but is "eventually"
accessible through logical reasoning.

My understanding of transcendental may well be faulty, my belief that Plato
was primarily a transcendentalist could very well be in error, my
understanding of your philosophical comments might be amiss.  But it has
seemed to me that "essentially"  (according to my notions of Plato) that you
fit more into his camp, than say Aristotle's, who, I take, to be more
defaulting our existence to reason because, well what the hell else have we
got going for us?  But even the strictest reasoning is, I believe, a game.

Didn't mean to offend.
Mike Geary
Rortysing in Memphis