[lit-ideas] Re: The Medium is the Message

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 08:25:34 -0700

Interesting.  My initial response to this thread was that I didn't disagree
with Irene's assessment, and whenever I do that I suspect I am becoming
psychotic.  Upon reflection (and relief) I determined that I would never
have written what she did.  While I don't use Facebook, I have tried it
several times and didn't find "those things of value" that Julie did.  Had
I, I might have pursued it a bit further.  Susan is on it and enjoys it for
some of the reasons others have mentioned and tells me if she runs across
anything I should know.

I suspect none of us has the time or inclination to keep up with all of the
technological innovations being advanced almost every year.  Ursula posted
her note from her iPad.  I am not critical of her or anyone else who has
one.  I'm sure they are very nice, but I don't have one.  This note will
come from my laptop.

Susan, who asks my help if her desktop or laptop computers get cranky has
just acquired an iPod, but that is only because she totaled her 2005 Subaru
and acquired a 2012 Elantra which doesn't have room for all her CDs.  The
salesman explained that an iPod can be "easily" integrated into the
Elantra's sound system; so last night she began loading her music onto a
version 5 iPod what fits into a tiny compartment in front of her gear shift.

I on the other hand shuddered, went downstairs and kissed the hood of my
2002 Jeep Liberty.

Lawrence

On 2011-10-25, at 8:45 AM, John McCreery <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

There you go again, Andy, pontificating about something you know, at best,
second hand. And in this case, the fault is particularly egregious, since
trying out Facebook for a week or two to see how people actually use it is
free. All it costs is a little time. Why, pray tell, do you think that
anyone should pay the slightest attention to what you say? Except, of
course, for the irritation felt on encountering mindless babble?

Grumpy in Yokohama,

John

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 9:31 PM, Andy <mimi.erva@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I understand that Facebook seems to be absorbing a lot of conversational
energy.  Just some thoughts, but first a disclaimer.  I don't have a
Facebook account, have never had one, and don't participate as a 'friend' on
any other Facebook account, including those of relatives.  For what it's
worth, my understanding of Facebook is that it's all about posting pictures
of how much fun you're having.  It's not about having fun, it's about
proving you're having fun, especially for the younger crowd.  Based on my
vicarious understanding, I can't imagine having an intelligent conversation
on Facebook.  Certainly I couldn't have one with my relatives (and that's
with two nephews in med school), or for that matter with most of my flesh
and blood friends.  Lit ideas people who have Facebook accounts are
certainly excepted, but generally Facebook to me is a pure pomo experience,
reality as if.  Worse, it's a reflection of the general dumbing down of
everything, a great big huge Twitter with pictures.  'Reality as if'
requires no depth of understanding, which would make Facebook and Twitter
the media for the times.  A vicarious understanding, yes, but I think
unfortunately accurate.

Andy

--
John McCreery