[lit-ideas] Re: The 9.11 Report

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 20:31:05 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Veronica Caley" <vcaley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Andreas, I am not sure how much of this is a summary and how much is
> editorializing on your part.  However, I will read the book.  I am reminded
> of Larry Kramer on this list, when it was Phil-Lit, and his comment that it
> might come to the point where the US will bomb Arab civilians deliberately.
> I assure you that if these guys set off a biological or nuclear device and
> kill tens, let alone hundreds of thousands, there will be millions bleeding
> in the Arab world.  Literally.  And Americans will back it, no matter who
> the president is.

Only the last six or so paragraphs are mine. The rest is a straightforward
summary of the
text. There is a tremendous amount of detail in the 450 pages of text. The
footnotes are
another 100 pages, and these are worth reading. Regrettably, the document has
no index.

Various newspaper articles write that the commissioners are all in agreement
that bin Laden
will attack the USA on a massive scale. When Islamic terrorists blow up NYC,
just where are
we going to retaliate? Pick an Arab city at random?

I've been reading the European and Asian newspapers and their articles about
the 9.11
Report. The major American newspapers and magazines are also writing about it.
Congress must
act quickly to change the US approach, or it will soon return to
business-as-usual, and that
means the clock will continue to tick.

The report makes the case that it's not Bush or Clinton who were directly at
fault. The real
culprit is the entire US government, both Congress, the US military, the
alphabet soup of
secret agencies (FBI, CIA, NSA, etc), and so on, which form a vast dyfunctional
bureaucracy
which is incapable of seeing a threat or doing anything about it. After Pearl
Harbor, the US
went into overdrive and built a huge war machine. This time, we're facing an
enemy that can
hurt us more than the Japanese navy, and three years after 9.11, basically
nothing has
changed. No one dares to discuss Israel in public.

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com