[lit-ideas] Re: The 9.11 Report

  • From: "Stan Spiegel" <writeforu2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 16:07:57 -0400

Andreas -

I read that New Yorker article too. But saying that Israel is synonymous
with those settlers is like saying America is synonymous with the KKK. I
found those settlers disgusting too. But that was only half the article. And
Jeffrey Goldberg didn't just write about those settlers. He also wrote about
the implacable Palestinians -- who even deny the Holocaust ever happened --
and the corrosive effect they have on the relationship. You don't deny the
Holocaust happened, do you?

Israel is a complex society too. You can't draw conclusions about all of
Israel because of the shitty things some groups are engaged in -- any more
than you can about America.

I don't expect Andreas to draw such half-assed conclusions on such a
selective portion of the article. I'm tired of hearing otherwise intelligent
people concluding stupid things about Israel. I'm now even hearing that
Israel was behind 9.11. Don't shake my confidence in you by also supporting
that crap!

Stan Spiegel
Portland, Maine