[lit-ideas] Re: The 9.11 Report

  • From: Scribe1865@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 15:51:40 EDT

In a message dated 7/24/2004 11:32:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
When Islamic terrorists blow up NYC, just where are
we going to retaliate? Pick an Arab city at random?
Against suitcase nukes, one of the last measure defenses would be to hold
something the terrorists value as hostage. That should include Mecca and
Medina,
Damascus, Riyadh, Teheran--certainly not a random list of targets.

Just as I did a few months after 9-11, I invite list members to imagine what
would happen to our country if five suitcase nukes were detonated
simultaneously in our five largest urban centers. In imagining the US trying to
recover
from such an attack, bear in mind that the urban areas would be uninhabitable.

Also consider that we would possibly never know how the nukes came into the
country, what group detonated them, and whether or not they were planning on
the US executing a nuclear counterstrike.