[lit-ideas] Re: News via the web

  • From: John Wager <johnwager@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2004 06:39:58 -0600

To what extent does all this "beating around the bush" also come from
the strong Buddhist tradition in Japan?  There are two Buddhist ideas at
work here: "Right Speech" and the whole approach of "paying attention"
to the details of daily life.

It would seem that "right speech" would be gentle, non-assertive,
non-aggressive, meandering so that it was not posessive or persuasive,
just suggestive. This promotes non-attachment.

And the Buddhist focus on paying attention to the details of daily life
would move the speaker in the same direction: What's happening around us
now? What's going on in the family? What details are currently the
important ones to attend to?  When the speaker does get to the point,
the evidence isn't pushed, just presented, so that the listener, IF he
pays attention, can put the pieces together for himself.

I've only read a few things from the Buddhist scriptures, and then only
in translation, but they seem to have the same qualities you describe
below even though they don't come from Japan.

But your comments rais ain intriguing question: Why would Arabic exhibit
similar characteristics of "right speech?" Is this just a characteristic
of many cultures who are more "sociable" than English-speaking ones?  (I
suspect that even Americans were more like Japanese and Arabic speakers
100 years ago; some of it may just come with "busyness.") On the other
hand, Islam claims to be the religion of peace ('slam,' salaam, shalom).
Would that slightly bend the course of Arabic, or at least slow down its
bend towards more aggressive or manipulative uses of language?