[lit-ideas] Re: News via the web

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 17:56:34 -0800 (PST)

--- Scribe1865@xxxxxxx wrote:
> No matter how thoughtful we consider ourselves, most
> of us only look at the
> world through a couple defining images at any given
> time. So the tendency of
> groups to rally their members by summoning key
> images is not surprising.
> The cross, the crescent, the star, the flag, a few
> defining images that
> shield us from complexity.

This is somewhat different from what I had in mind -
these are symbolic images, not representational
images. People may identify emotionally with a flag,
but they know that their country is not the flag. It
is not the disappearance of objectivity that I was
lamenting; I agree that people have always seen the
world through some lenses or other anyway. My
complaint was about the purportedly representational
images, such as those on TV, which purport to show you
in an objective manner exactly what happened and how
it happened. In fact these images, even when not
censored or pre-selected or staged as they often are,
only show a small piece of reality.

O.K.