[lit-ideas] Re: News via the web

  • From: John McCreery <mccreery@xxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 12:06:48 +0900

On 2004/04/05, at 11:48, Omar Kusturica wrote:

> Until we learn to read Japanese, Japan's main
> English-language newspaper can be checked out here:
>
> http://www.japantimes.co.jp/
>
> I've been following it for some time and it seems to
> me that is a fair amount of thoughtful and detailed
> discussions.

Do remember, though, that (1) the Japan Times is very much the
"official" English-language face of Japan and (2) contains only a
fraction of what is covered in the major Japanese language dailies.

Also, in terms of English-daily circulation, the Japan Times is now, I
believe, smaller than the Daily Yomiuri:
http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/index-e.htm

For a glimpse of the world as seen in weekly magazines, check out
Weekly Post, whose circulation is the largest of the weeklies:

http://www.weeklypost.com/jp/

Please note, however, that the on-line version both in Japanese and
(still more so) in English are bowdlerized. Neither site includes the
comics and naked ladies that spice up the print edition.

For a taste of the visual flavor of the print edition, check out the
*nakazuri* (a type of ad suspended from the ceilings of train and
subway cars) at

http://www.weeklypost.com/jp/040409jp/hung/naka.html

John L. McCreery
The Word Works, Ltd.