[lit-ideas] Re: Is Huntington right?

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 01:33:45 -0400

Well, they had Superbowl style games where they threw people to lions and
watched them be torn to pieces.  Gladiators who fought literally to the
death, crucifixions, slavery, sex with children, Caligula, Nero.  Let's
see, what else?  Flush toilets, after a fashion, so they weren't all bad.

Huh.
> COMMANDO:
> Public baths.
> LORETTA:
> And it's safe to walk in the streets at night now, Reg.
> FRANCIS:
> Yeah, they certainly know how to keep order. Let's face it. They're the
only ones who could
> in a place like this.
> COMMANDOS:
> Hehh, heh. Heh heh heh heh heh heh heh.
> REG:
> All right, but apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine,
public order,
> irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, and public health, what have the
Romans ever done