[lit-ideas] Re: Interpretation and Elision

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, "lit-ideas" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 23:20:15 -0500

There's no way to assume or see the whole of anything so I would say it's
impossible to interpret anything without omitting part(s) of it.  I
recently read three stories by Hemingway.  In all three stories, plus one I
know of, the protagonist dies.  Obviously death was on Hemingway's mind,
given his suicide.  Even so, the deaths of the protagonists (of himself)
are only a part of what Hemingway was working out.  I can't imagine a
complex work that is entirely graspable, including real people and life in
general.