[lit-ideas] Re: Interpretation and Elision

  • From: Robert Paul <robert.paul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 13:19:42 -0800

'Andy Amago' wrote:

Mike, you underestimate yourself.  Last week when my submersible well pump
went and I had no water, I didn't call a philosopher.  In fact, no matter
what happens, nobody calls a philosopher.  Good technical people, into
which category I put doctors and dentists, are gold.  And certainly they're
not cheap.  The world needs philosophers, don't get me wrong, but it needs
good technical people a lot more.  Combining technical with philosophy and
literature the way you do, Mike, makes you truly unique among men.

Right. And when you get your pump working and your air conditioner running like a perpetual motion machine, and your clock in tune with the vibrations of cesium atoms in the remoter galaxies, and there's nothing left to fix, and you've read every book worth reading (a dozen times) who you gonna call? An electrician?

Robert Paul,
offering the key to the Meaning of Life,
south of Reed College.