[lit-ideas] Re: Interpretation and Elision

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 23:01:06 -0500

I'm reading a biography on Hitler and Stalin.  I'm understanding for the
first time that Stalin's purges were about wiping out the entire Bolshevik
party.  That would be equivalent to wiping out the Baby Boomers in this
country.  On top of that, he declared war on the peasants, essentially
declared war on his own people for resisting collectivization.  He killed
vast numbers of people.  Given the surreal enormity of the chaos that he
perpetrated on that country, I wonder if the commonly held view that
Communism was tried and failed really holds.  Under circumstances such as
those, democracy/capitalism would have failed too.  I am NOT a supporter of
Communism.  I'm just wondering if absent Stalin it would have turned out
differently.  Rhetorical.  Of course it would have turned out differently.
It may have actually been a viable system.  We'll never know.

Andy Amago