[lit-ideas] Re: Interpretation and Elision

  • From: Robert Paul <robert.paul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2005 19:10:41 -0800

Mike Geary wrote:

Or, expanding on Eric's thought, isn't every statement, perhaps even every thought, an exclusion of the whole truth?

The whole truth about what? he wondered.

Shouldn't every thought include the universe itself, the universe in which it is nestled and only within which it truly has any meaning?

Some of us think that thoughts are mental events, and that the universe is mostly the other kind of stuff, no matter how far out you go. And some outlaw band of us thinks that Brentano was right when he noted that mental states (including thoughts) are of, or about something. My thought of Mount St. Helens is about Mount St. Helens, not about The World's Tallest Sitka Spruce. And, even if he wasn't right, we believe that material things like those just mentioned are not about anything. (Marx wasn't wrong because the true Revolution didn't happen; he was wrong from the start, because there are no logical relations between objects and states of affairs.)

> Every interpretation carries the baggage of the whole universe.

So, he wondered further how interpretations, which are thoughts, expressed in words or other noises carry this baggage, seein' as how it's doubtful that there are logical relations between snow's being white, and my arm's being bent when I touch my nose with the tip of my finger: I mean, the stuff in the universe doesn't carry it—why should my thoughts about and interpretations of interpretable things carry it?

Robert Paul
amazed at the simplicity of it all
Reed College