[lit-ideas] Re: Interpretation and Elision

  • From: "Phil Enns" <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 07:51:04 -0500

Robert Paul wrote:

"Indeed, stopping for a stop sign is an interpretation—not the stopping,
of course, but the prior mental act of taking that configuration of
shapes and colors affixed to a pole (usually) at an intersection (real
stop signs are seldom placed alongside uninterrupted stretches of road)
to be a stop sign in vivo. Stop signs in the stop sign shop require no
action on a touring motorist's part."

Prior mental act?  I don't think about stopping but just stop.  In the
earliest days of my driving experience I did have to think about it, but
now I don't.  To have a 'prior mental act' for all that is involved in
driving would be exhausting business and I am not sure one could get out
the driveway.

Robert continues:

"I don't really know why Phil flings around possible things that the
interpretation of (in this case that configuration, etc.), as a stop
sign—might be interpretations of in such a breathless way."

Breathless way?  Nope.  Just bewilderment.  Robert takes it as obvious
that the interpretation involved is of the 'configuration of shapes and
colors affixed to a pole'.  But why assume that the interpretation is of
the physical sign?  After all, the sign has its meaning by virtue of
traffic rules.  Is one interpreting the physical object or the rules?
But the rules are an expression of cultural practices.  Anyone who has
driven in a different culture should be aware of this.  Does a stop sign
mean something different in Africa than it does in Kansas?  Is one
interpreting the physical object or cultural standards?  If it is
interpretation all the way down, then it is arbitrary to fix the object
of interpretation.  The physical object is merely the occasion and not
obviously the subject of all the remarkable mental activity Robert
suggests.

Robert continues:

"My modest claim is that there is no entailment from 'that thing, that
octagonally shaped concatenation of colors and shapes, painted and on a
pole, set there by the appropriate authorities, whose intentions will be
investigated in a separate paper, etc., etc., to the stopping of a motor
vehicle or a bicycle or a pushcart by anybody."

So?  Who is claiming that logical decisiveness has anything to do with
the ordinary business of our lives?  Robert seems to think that since
there is no entailment, it must be interpretation all the way down.  I
don't see why there are only the two options.  (One really since logical
decisiveness is a red herring here.)

Robert again:

"It's really no fun to discuss things with someone who ignores the
original examples provided and immediately, with no clear motivation, at
least none clearly visible, produces frivolous examples of his own,
without bothering to say what they're examples of, or how they fit into
any larger picture."

Oh my.  What a grinch we are.  Robert didn't give any examples of
'interpretation all the way down'.  He merely concluded that since there
is no logical decisiveness in the world, what a surprise there, it might
be interpretation all the way down.  And if one is going about claiming,
and Robert didn't actually make the claim but in good philosophical
manner merely suggested it could be the case, that it is interpretation
all the way down, then how could there be any frivolous examples?
Either every example is as good as another, or there is ground for
differentiation.  But if one is in the 'all is interpretation' camp,
there are no such grounds.  In fact, one has no grounds to make such a
claim and certainly no grounds for objecting to someone who might
disagree.  If my comments on what is going on at a stop sign are also
interpretation, interpretation that differs from Robert's, how could it
be wrong?  It would just be different.  I personally think that this
'all is interpretation' is nonsense but I certainly don't want to
deprive Robert of his amusements.

Sincerely,

Phil Enns
Toronto, ON