[lit-ideas] Re: Immigration

  • From: Carol Kirschenbaum <carolkir@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 13:25:12 -0800

> What is the state of the national immigration debate?
> Contentious and deeply divided, experts say. Public opinion polls show
> *most* Americans ..."

ck: This so-called debate is a mess. It reminds me of the latter-day
anti-Vietnam marches in Berkeley, where people showed up with banners for
and against just about every issue around (and some that hadn't yet been
seen). Of course people--and Congress--can't "agree"; there's not one thing
but a number of them to discuss here! Is this a border issue--open borders
advocated for the US and Mexico? Is this a pro or con amnesty issue for any
immigrants who are currently living in the US? Is this about ensuring that
big ag doesn't exploit the Mexicans it currently brings over the border each
season? Et cetera.

There is no single "immigration issue." There are many of them--unless we
all feel like merely jerking our knees. I'm not even sure there's an
identifiable partisan divide on all of the issues being tossed about. If
there is, what side am I on this time?

Carol