[lit-ideas] Re: Immigration

  • From: Robert Paul <robert.paul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 15:59:48 -0800

Marlena wrote:

In a message dated 3/26/2006 5:46:09 P.M. Central Standard Time, robert.paul@xxxxxxxx writes:

    You seem to be saying that Labor Ready is falsifying its books (if
    it is
    hiring illegal aliens who do not have a green card).

HI,
No, I'm saying that Labor Ready is hiring legal folks.
Andreas is the one stating that his area does not have things like Labor Ready--they have the trucks that pick up illegal immigrants who are NOT paying taxes and that they are just FINE with not paying taxes.

Earlier, Judy wrote that illegal immigrants can't pay taxes. This true, Marlena.

"Why not? If the company were like the Labor Ready company here, they would be paying taxes at the end of the year because it would be documented that they had earned what they did."

If they were illegal immigrants it could not be 'documented' that they'd earned whatever they did unless—as I wrote earlier—they were passing as (and accepted as) legal immigrants with work visas. Labor Ready must, in its accounting to the IRS document them in some way: LR cannot say that they were sending out illegal immigrants as temps.

"According to Andreas, they are making quite a lot of money...but not paying taxes on it."

Whether or not they are making quite a lot of money they cannot (Judy is right) pay taxes and yet be working 'off the books,' as illegals.

This is as clearly as I can explain it to you.

Robert Paul