[lit-ideas] Re: Immigration

  • From: Eric <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 01:04:30 -0500

Robert: But nobody 'gets' Medicare just because a clinic or hospital treats them as a Medicare or Medicaid patient. Hospitals cannot bill Medicare unless the person being treated is covered under Medicare, i.e., has a Medicare account.

This was info from a phone call, not a post, and I may have the Medicare part wrong, but I have been assured that many illegals get Social Security numbers (illegally). They also receive federal payments for their hospital costs. There is some sort of bureaucratic finesse going on between the social welfare agencies and the hospitals, and I have been told that payment to the hospitals takes a long time but eventually comes through.

I'll get a more detailed written account before I say more.