[lit-ideas] Re: Immigration

  • From: Carol Kirschenbaum <carolkir@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 22:11:41 -0800

Wait a sec. I may be wrong, but I don't think you have to be a citizen of
the US to live here legally and pay income taxes. It's common for one person
in a family--coming from Mexico--to have a green card, but the others either
remain "illegal" (and sans green card) or are born here. Green cards aren't
that expensive in the Central Valley.

I think we're confusing issues. Poverty is one issue. Immigration from other
countries to the US, for labor reasons as opposed to political asylum or
family reunification, is another issue. Then there's the issue of
Mexico--its inability to fend for itself, as a nation (if I've got it wrong,
then what would explain all the immigration?) and all the current problems
you, as a USian, see instantly and cringe at, when you visit the place. I
wonder if we'd be having protests on immigration if Canadians were
immigrating to the US in vast numbers. Why do I doubt that we would?

But is it fixing up Mexico on the US agenda? Should it be? How about fixing
up our own messes? There's the near-equivalent of New Orleans-level poverty
in most major US cities.

 (No. I take it back. New Orleans poverty is and was worse. I saw it there,
some years back, and was shocked. It made the slums of Houston and Los
Angeles look comfy and safe.)

Carol

Carol