[lit-ideas] Re: Immigration

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 18:56:09 -0500

The irony is that diabetes is one of the most preventable diseases around.
The current epidemic is directly connected to the obesity epidemic.
Personally, I would give them one visit, and then demand weight loss as a
condition for further care, since the weight is the cause of the problem.
I wonder why that's not done.  The way it's done now, patients do 10% of
the work, and the healthcare system does the rest as the patient slowly
deteriorates.  If the patient can't do 50% of the work, he's being enabled,
not treated.  Socially, too, so much can be done, yet nothing is done.

Saw an interesting movie last night, The Man in the White Suit, 1951, with
Alec Guinness.  Beautiful black and white cinematography.