[lit-ideas] Re: Illegal Immigration

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 22:16:40 -0400

It
> seems ludicrous to complain about how government squanders its tax revenue
> and then insist that this revenue ought to be increased.

This sounds like the Reaganomics thing about if you tax them too much,
eventually people will lose incentive to work (Laffer curve, supply side,
but I don't remember exactly).  That  has been proven over and over to be
such a crock of crap.  Reaganomics (later called Voodoo Economics by Bush
Sr.) left the country much deeper in debt at the end of his term than when
he started.  The rich pay nowhere near percentage-wise what middle class
people pay.  Not even close.  In fact, not even at all.  The not at all was
said by Bush himself in a campaign speech, where he said the rich have
accountants and so on.  I first heard it in an interview of someone who
wrote a book on taxation, so when Bush said it, it resonated. His audience,
of course, had no idea that he really meant the rich don't pay taxes. Any
money the Bush government gets, it gets from the middle class.  Any tax
breaks the Bush government gives, it gives to the ultra wealthy.  People
resist this idea because they like to believe in fairness.  Belief in
fairness has nothing at all to do with the way things are.

Andy Amago