[lit-ideas] Re: Illegal Immigration

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 10:44:17 -0500

Andy Amago:
>>  Do you realize ANYONE at ANY TIME can just walk into the country?  Anyone,
>> carrying whatever they can carry?  You like that? <<

It doesn't bother me.  If terrorists want in, they'll get in.  The only people
we keep out are dissidents and critics of American policies.

>> Marlena gets it.  She understands that depressing wages lowers the standard
>> of living for this country. <<

So, raise the minimum wage.  It's as simple as that.  Make the minimum wage in
this country a living, family, saving wage.  Don't kick the poor in the stomach
for being poor.

>> We in this country have a struggling middle class, a shrinking middle class
>> as corporate entities do they can, with the blessing and help of Congress,
>> to slam working people.<<

Yes, I agree.  So vote the greed-driven, corrupt plutocrats out of office.
Don't assault the immigrants who are working their asses off for near slave
wages so that you can have cheap produce and chickens.

>>You're right, everything in this country is about money, money for the
>>corporate bottom line, for the ultra rich.  I'll repeat:  exploiting illegal
>>aliens keeps corporate profits zooming, tax breaks for the CEO's coming, the
>>middle class in the U.S. sliding downhill, <<

And your solution is to keep anyone south of the border out.  Then everything
will be fine.  I don't think so.  Let's try raising the minimum wage and taxing
the wealthy before attacking the poor.

>> BTW, low life Fox's #1 source of income is exporting his people to work here
>> and send money back to Mexico, <<

Even if that's true, I see nothing wrong with it.  They're doing jobs we need
done and they're helping their families.

>> Do you hate this country Mike?  Is that the problem? <<

No, but I do hate xenophobia and facile answers.

Mike Geary
Memphis