[lit-ideas] Re: Illegal Immigration

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 14:02:18 -0400

At 12:47 PM 9/14/2005, you wrote:

Mike Geary wrote:

"Raise the minimum wage.  It's as simple as that.  Make the minimum wage in
this country a living, family, saving wage."

This a defeatist proposition. Let's say a professional makes 25 bucks an hour. She went to school for 6 years. She has a graduate degree. She owns her own company. She can only charge what the market will bear for her service. Now... let's say, a guy, working at McDonald's with absolutely no education (he dropped out when he was 16) is suddenly told by the government, "hey, it's okay, you can make 20 bucks an hour -- a fair, living, family, saving wage." This hardly seems fair to the woman who work her ass off to get where she is. NOW, instead of being 5 times richer, she is 1.25 times so.

Now, this goes on for a few years, and what happens? EVERYONE goes directly to McDonald's. Why not, it's completely economically feasible. And... it punishes [certainly does NOT reward] the ambitious people.

Now... I hear you say, well, the professional can jack her price up to 50 bucks an hour, the market will bear it, everyone is making tons of cash now. AND... we're back to the beginning again. It's all relative. Then the people making 'minimum' wage would start crying again. As Chris Rock puts it "you know what minimum wage says? If I COULD pay you less, I WOULD."

A society cannot reward everyone without penalizing a lot of people. Raising minimum wage is a bad idea because a LOT of people who can't get good jobs (I wonder why they can't get good jobs) are forced to settle for minimum. If you "settle" for 80% of what someone who is truly 'worth' something makes, then you aren't really settling are you. The reason that illegal immigrants do the shitty jobs is because they CAN. ANYONE can, and if you make those 'anyone' jobs worth something, you have not given a whole pile of people good jobs, you have cheapened a whole pile of people's hard work.

The reason that people in the "civilized" countries won't work for minimum wage [and certainly not for below] is that it's a shit wage. They THINK that they are entitled to a 'living'. Well, they ain't. For most people [those not born into money] in order to have a nice comfy life, you have to work hard and get a good job. Raising minimum wage so that everyone was comfortable would make a WHOLE lot of people uncomfortable.

bordering on the uncomfortable
Paul

Paul Stone
pas@xxxxxxxx