[lit-ideas] Re: Illegal Immigration

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 20:48:25 -0400

>Based on social anthropology, Warner divided American into three
>classes (upper, middle, and lower), then further subdivided each of
>these into an "upper" and "lower" segment, with the following postulates:

* Upper-upper class. "Old money." People who have been born into
and raised with wealth.
* Lower-upper class. "New money." Individuals who have become
rich within their own lifetimes.
* Upper-middle class. High-salaried professionals (i.e.,
doctors, lawyers, corporate executives).
* Lower-middle class. Lower-paid professionals, but not manual
laborers (i.e., police officers, non-management office workers, small business owners).
* Upper-lower class. Blue-collar workers and manual laborers.
Also known as the "working class."
* Lower-lower class. The homeless and permanently unemployed,
as well as the "working poor."

Man... things are REALLY different over here. I wrote a really long original post, but I thought it would get me in trouble so I didn't send it. It's on my office computer. Maybe I'll send it tomorrow. Nah, I'll be too busy lazing around. According to this schema, here in Ca na da , Upper Lower class, in recent years has definitely supplanted Lower middle class and in some cases Upper Middle Class. Once again, the terms are meaningless. "BLUE COLLAR"? What fucking century was this Goldthorpe living in?" The local blue collar guys are earning almost 6 figures around here.

PS>   This google thingy is GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREAT if you need quick and dirty
PS> information,

as opposed to none, which you seem to prefer (I admit the second time around, I searched by "Goldthorpe" and "upper middle class")

Oh come on Judy... you're giving me short shrift. Is ERRONEOUS information better than NONE? I think not!!!